Bayern Munich have pulled out of the running to sign Kieran Tripper from Newcastle United.
The German champions saw their initial €8 million (£6.8m) offer for the England international rejected last week.
Bayern followed up on Tuesday with an improved bid worth €15m (£12.8m), however, that was also turned down by Newcastle.
Bayern’s sporting director Christoph Freund has now confirmed that the Bundesliga club will not submit an improved offer and are now working on signing an alternative.
When asked about Bayern’s pursuit of Trippier on Tuesday evening, Freund told Sky Germany: ‘That’s over.
‘We only do what we are 100 per cent convinced of, that’s what we’ve always said.
‘All parameters have to fit for the player, for us and for the selling club and that wasn’t the case.’
Asked whether there’s still hope for Bayern’s push to sign Paris Saint-Germain right-back Nordi Mukiele, Freund simply replied: ‘Yes.’
The 26-year-old has made 35 appearances for PSG since joining in a €16m (£13.5m) deal from RB Leipzig in July 2022.
Elsewhere, Newcastle United are in talks with Saudi Pro League side Al-Shabab over a £30m deal for Miguel Almiron.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.