Christian Horner’s accuser has until Wednesday to appeal Red Bull investigation

Geri Halliwell has demanded Christian Horner cut ties with his female accuser (Photo: Getty)

The women who accused Christian Horner of ‘inappropriate behaviour’ has until Wednesday to appeal the outcome of the investigation into the Red Bull boss.

A week ago, Red Bull cleared Horner following an investigation by an independent lawyer after a female employee of the Formula 1 team made allegations against him.

Red Bull and its team principal had hoped that that would be the end of the matter, but the scandal has continued to rumble on after texts and images related to the probe were leaked.

Jos Verstappen, father of Red Bull driver and three-time F1 champion Max Verstappen, has sensationally called for Horner to be sacked, which in turn has fuelled wild rumours about Max’s future with the team.

When Red Bull announced that Horner had been cleared, it said in a statement: ‘The independent investigation into the allegations made against Mr Horner is complete, and Red Bull can confirm that the grievance has been dismissed.

‘The complainant has a right of appeal. Red Bull is confident that the investigation has been fair, rigorous and impartial.’

The Times now report that the complainant has five working days to appeal, meaning the deadline is on Wednesday 6th March.

Formula 1 Testing in Bahrain - Day 3

Horner was cleared by Red Bull after an investigation – but the scandal is far from over (Photo: Getty)



Christian Horner investigation timeline

How the scandal has unfolded…

Monday 5 February – Red Bull confirm investigation into Horner over ‘controlling behaviour’ allegations

Friday 9 February – Horner grilled by independent lawyer during eight-hour hearing

Thursday 15 February – Horner attends Red Bull’s 2024 car launch and publicly addresses allegations for first time – says he ‘fully denies’ any wrongdoing

Friday 16 February – Fresh allegations emerge in Dutch Newspaper De Telegraaf suggesting Horner sent messages of a ‘suggestive nature’ to a female employee

Wednesday 21 February to Friday 23 February – Horner attends Formula 1 pre-season testing in Bahrain – says: ‘We hope there is a resolution as soon as possible’

Friday 23 February – Sixth series of F1: Drive to Survive releases on Netflix – Horner and wife Geri Halliwell feature in docuseries

Wednesday 28 February – Horner cleared of allegations – Red Bull say: ‘The investigation is complete and the grievance has been dismissed. The complainant has a right of appeal’

Thursday 29 February to Saturday 2 March – Formula 1 season gets underway with the Bahrain Grand Prix

Thursday 29 February – WhatsApp messages and images supposedly between Horner and the complainant were leaked to the media and F1 personnel

Friday 1 March – Horner summoned for showdown talks with F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali and FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem

Saturday 2 March – Jos Verstappen, Max’s father, warns Red Bull Racing ‘is in danger of being torn apart’ unless Horner leaves

It is said that the woman, who has not been named, has hired lawyers and is weighing up her options.

Reports say she is still an employee of Red Bull and is currently based at the team’s HQ in Milton Keynes, but due to the nature of her role she is still in contact with Horner.

That arrangement does not look set to last, with Horner’s wife, the former Spice Girl Geri Halliwell, demanding he cut ties with the employee, and insiders suggest that one or the other must leave Red Bull.

F1 Grand Prix of Bahrain

The complainant is still working for Red Bull and ‘loves her job’ (Photo: Getty)



Christian Horner investigation – what we know

‘It’s been a difficult time. The status quo isn’t ideal for either party,’ one source said.

Another added: ‘She’s taken on her lawyers… People don’t just roll over in these cases.’

All this comes as F1 gears up for this weekend’s Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, with Horner and Max Verstappen set to be grilled about Jos’ comments which came after the Dutchman had a ‘blazing row’ with Horner.

Neither Jos nor Halliwell will be in Jeddah, while a second scandal is brewing in the sport, with FIA president Mohammad Ben Sulayem under investigation over two alleged offences.

Firstly, he is accused of interfering with the result of last year’s Saudi Arabian Grand Prix by instructing stewards to overturn a penalty given to Fernando Alonso.

Secondly, it is claimed the 62-year-old also attempted to get the inaugural Las Vegas Grand Prix called off last season by telling officials to find safety concerns with the new street circuit.

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
Facebook, 
Twitter and Instagram.


MORE : Max Verstappen ‘told FIA president to launch new Christian Horner inquiry’ amid Red Bull exit rumours


MORE : Christian Horner threatens F1 magazine with legal action over ‘inaccurate and unlawful’ new allegations


MORE : Max Verstappen’s father Jos will miss Saudi Arabian Grand Prix after calling for Christian Horner to leave Red Bull

General Sport