Erik ten Hag elusive on Marcus Rashford as he returns to Man Utd starting XI | Football

Marcus Rashford is thrown straight back into the Manchester United starting line-up (Picture: Getty Images)

Erik ten Hag was very keen to move on from Marcus Rashford’s disciplinary issues as he picked the forward in his Manchester United starting XI at Wolves on Thursday night.

The England international has been at the centre of controversy after going on a bender in Belfast last week and missing training last Friday as a result.

Rashford was not involved in the FA Cup clash with Newport County on Sunday and he was not expected to start at Molineux, but he has been thrown straight back into the starting line-up by Ten Hag.

On the decision to start the 26-year-old, Ten Hag told TNT Sports: ‘I didn’t select him on Sunday, he has taken responsibility so case closed.’

Asked if Rashford has something to prove on his return, Ten Hag responded: ‘Case closed, we move on.’

In a statement from Manchester United on Monday, the club said: ‘Marcus has taken responsibility for his actions. This has been dealt with as an internal disciplinary matter, which is now closed.’

Ten Hag was repeating on Thursday what he said earlier in the week in a press conference when he said: ‘He has taken responsibility and the rest is an internal matter. Case closed.’

More to follow…


MORE : Man Utd free to build new stadium after ‘exciting’ talks between Sir Jim Ratcliffe and Mayor of Greater Manchester


MORE : Mikael Silvestre urges Manchester United to sign Crystal Palace winger Michael Olise ahead of Chelsea

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
Facebook, 
Twitter and Instagram.