Newcastle head coach Eddie Howe gives Chelsea hope over Callum Wilson transfer | Football

Callum Wilson has been linked with Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United (Picture: Getty)

Eddie Howe is hopeful Callum Wilson remains ‘100 per cent committed’ to Newcastle after speaking with the forward, though admits ‘some things’ are out of his ‘control’.

Uncertainty has been growing surrounding Wilson’s future this month, with Newcastle forced to offload players to ensure they do not breach the Premier League’s profit and sustainability rules.

Newcastle have spent in excess of £400million on new signings since the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund takeover in 2021 and Wilson has been one several first-team stars linked with a January exit as the Magpies look to balance the books – along with Miguel Almiron, Kieran Trippier and Jamaal Lascelles.

Wilson has established himself as one of the Premier League’s most consistent and sought-after goalscorers in recent seasons and Chelsea have been credited with a strong interest in the 31-year-old striker.

Reports this week claim Arsenal and Manchester United are also keeping close tabs on developments as they scour the market for attacking reinforcements, with both clubs understood to be long-term admirers of the England international.

‘It’s been a strange one. A lot of speculation and a lot of it unfounded,’ Howe told reporters when asked about the rumours surrounding Wilson at his pre-match press conference on Friday.

‘From our side, he’s a huge part of what we do. We’re desperate to get our two strikers fit again.

‘He’s nearing a return from injury and looks good. He’s getting there. There’s no part of me that wants to lose him.’

Newcastle boss Eddie Howe looks on

Howe is hoping to keep hold of Wilson this January (Picture: Getty)

The Newcastle head coach added: ‘In every conversation, he’s 100 per cent committed. No part of him is looking elsewhere.

‘He’s got big ambitions and we want to keep him here. But some things are out of our control.

‘The club is acting with the long-term interests of the club and they have to. Let’s see what happens.’

The England striker is contracted to Newcastle until 2025 (Picture: Getty)

There has also been firm interest overseas in Wilson, with European giants AC Milan and Atletico Madrid eyeing a potential deal for the former Coventry City attacker.

Wilson – capped nine times by the Three Lions – completed a move from Bournemouth to St James’ Park back in 2020 and has racked up 46 goals in 102 appearances in all competitions for the Toon.

Back in September, Wilson put pen to paper on a one-year contract extension to tie him to Newcastle until 2025.

At his presser, Howe also addressed the rumours surrounding Trippier’s future, stressing that the England international has never asked to leave the club despite incessant rumours linking the full-back with Bayern Munich.

‘A few things to say on Kieran’s situation. We hope he will stay and we’re very confident he will be part of our long-term future,’ he said.

‘But I have to make it clear he has never asked to leave or even questioned his future here.

‘We’ve had conversations in the last week and it’s always been about Newcastle. It’s important I make that clear. His commitment to Newcastle shouldn’t be questioned.’


MORE : Chelsea eyeing Arsenal target as long-term replacement for Thiago Silva


MORE : Mauricio Pochettino compares ‘amazing’ Chelsea star to Harry Kane in latest transfer hint

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
Facebook, 
Twitter and Instagram.

General Sport