Liverpool starlet Fabio Carvalho has been accused of not wanting to ‘face the competition’ by RB Leipzig’s sporting director.
The attacking midfielder failed to register a goal or assist during the spell but his return to Anfield was short-lived, and he’s now back out on loan at Hull City.
He’ll be hoping to get the Tigers back to the Premier League and has been thrust straight into action, starting their match against Norwich on Friday night.
Liverpool will be hoping he fares better in the Championship where he previously shone for Fulham, which convinced Jurgen Klopp to spend £7.7million on him in 2022.
Rouven Schroder, Leipzig’s sporting director, has now opened up on why Carvalho struggled at his club, suggesting that while the 21-year-old has good attributes, he wasn’t doing enough to fight for a place in the team.
He told reporters in Germany: ‘We consciously chose Fabio last summer.
‘He had a great season with Fulham in the English second division, which is very physical. We said to ourselves: great talent, good age, has already gained his experience.
‘Still, you only get to know a player as an end product when he’s there.
‘Fabio has a great character. But he realised: “OK, there’s a competitor here, I have to do more!”. And we noticed that he didn’t want to face the competition.’
Prior to the Norwich clash, Hull were seventh in the Championship, a point off the play-offs, and Carvalho will be hoping he can get them back to the top-flight as he did with Fulham a few seasons ago.
Liverpool meanwhile are on their winter break and will next be in action on 21st January when they travel to Bournemouth for a Premier League clash.
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on
Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.