Tyson Fury butts heads with Oleksandr Usyk

Tyson Fury’s heavyweight title fight with Oleksandr Usyk has been postponed (Picture: Getty)

Tyson Fury has told Oleksandr Usyk he would have been ‘in trouble’ had their undisputed heavyweight title fight gone ahead as planned later this month.

The boxing world was rocked this evening as it was announced that the bout between Fury and Usyk – set for February 17 – had been postposed with just two weeks notice after the Gypsy King suffered a gruesome cut above his right eye.

Fury and Usyk had been preparing to go to war in Saudi Arabia to crown the first undisputed heavyweight ruler since Lennox Lewis back in 1999. 

It’s understood Fury, the undefeated Brit, required 15 stitches following an accidental head clash while sparring and the fight is likely to be rescheduled for either June or July.

The cut appears to be a recurrence of the grisly injury Fury sustained during his victory over Otto Wallin back in September 2019 – a problem that has aggravated the 35-year-old ever since.

According to Boxing News, Usyk’s team are now seeking a fight against IBF mandatory challenger Filip Hrgovic instead.

Just moments after the news broke, Fury took to Instagram with a selfie and a brief message which underlined his intention to get the fight rescheduled as soon as possible.

‘Cant [sic] help getting injored [sic] in sparring but what I can say was Usyk was in trouble I am in fantastic shape,’ Fury said.

‘I will resheduel [sic] soon as I can. 2024 a massive year for team GK #undisputed #wbcking.’

More to follow.


MORE : Joshua Buatsi vs Dan Azeez needs no hype, every British boxing fan should be invested in this


MORE : Crazy Tyson Fury-Oleksandr Usyk promo video sees boxers depicted as cowboys, pirates and giant monsters


MORE : Tyson Fury ‘getting turned over’ in training for Oleksandr Usyk fight

General Sport